Sunday, December 12, 2010

A walking trio

I realized three things today.

1) There are lots of different faces of Santa. Some are sweet and comforting and make you want to run out and buy some kid a new bike. Others are less jolly, more creepy stranger whose red novelty trousers may or may not be hiding a monitoring anklet. Growing up, we had a giant Santa head that resembled the latter version, and the thought of his leering eyes following me across the room still scares the shit out of me.

2) I have an intense compulsion to read notes left on parked cars. I never actually give in, because I'm fully aware that the message clearly wasn't meant for me. But I enjoy guessing what they might say based on the type of car, parking job, or other cues that might reveal the note's contents. Was it a missed connection? Random act of kindess? Invitation to a nearby event? The most common scenario I settle on is something like, "Nice parking job, asshole." 

3) There is nothing my dog won't eat. As we waited to cross at a light, I turned my attention toward what appeared to be a toys for tots type meetup for Vespa riders. And when I looked back, Merlin was gnawing on a discarded pizza crust laying in the gutter next to an old, ratty sock. Farther down the road, he pee'd on his own feet. He's disgusting.

Oh, and Pat was sleeping in a different window this time. It was good to see her trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment