Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Big wheels keep on turnin'

I set my alarm this morning for a time when no one should be awake so I could walk before work. Didn't happen. So I used my time in the shower to remember something interesting that I saw on a recent walk through Balboa Park.

As I was crossing over the bridge into the park, a man on a bicycle was riding on the opposite sidewalk. But he wasn't riding just any bicycle. It was one of those late-1800s-type deals, with a front wheel that's considerable larger than the back wheel. Only it was too new to be an antique, and the man was too normal looking to be a circus performer, so I was left perplexed.

The rider was a smaller man, and the juxtaposition of his short little legs pedaling furiously to turn the giant front wheel made me sad that no one was around for me to point it out to. Adding to it all, he was dressed as if going to a tea party in the rose garden that's at the end of the park. All things considered, it was pretty spectacular for me.

He passed by me two more times, each time headed in a different direction. I could only surmise that he'd forgotten where he'd stashed his time machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment